While both strains have their unique benefits and drawbacks, indicas are generally more relaxing and calming, while sativas are more stimulating and energetic.
How do you decide which is right for you? Read on to learn more about the differences between these two types of cannabis strains.
What is cannabis indica?
Indica is a cannabis strain known for providing a strong body high. It is perfect for people looking to relax and unwind after a long day. Indica strains are often used to treat anxiety, chronic pain, and insomnia.
The term “body high” is often heard within marijuana communities. A body high is a high that is associated with sensations of lethargy and couch-lock. Many people describe it as a heavy, weighted feeling throughout their body. This high is often accompanied by deep relaxation and sleepiness.
Indica dominant strains such as OG Kush, Northern Lights, and Bubba Kush are known for their potent sedative effects. Other popular Indica plants include Hindu Kush, Purple Urkle, and Granddaddy Purple.
Indica strains tend to have a sweet and earthy taste, with hints of skunkiness. Some people describe the taste as being similar to black licorice or berries. If you don’t like the taste, you can try using a vape or edible.
When growing an Indica cannabis plant, it is essential to remember that they typically grow shorter and bushier than Sativa plants. Indica plants tend to flower earlier and are better suited for indoor growing. They generally are not very resistant to pests or moulds, so you’ll need to be diligent in keeping an eye on them.
Benefits of Indica strains
Because of its sedative effects, indica nugs have a natural therapeutic quality. If you’re looking for total relief from pain or emotional/mental turmoil, then, by all means, smoke an Indica.
- Calming and relaxing effects: The Indica strain is known for its calming and relaxing effects. It can be perfect for those struggling with anxiety, stress, or insomnia.
- Pain relief: Indica strains are often recommended for people who suffer from chronic pain because of their numbing and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Reduced anxiety: One of the main benefits of indica strains is that they can help reduce anxiety levels. This makes them perfect for those who need to relax but also want to avoid the psychoactive effects of THC.
- Reduced nausea: Indica strains are also known to help reduce nausea, which can be a huge benefit for those struggling with cancer or other illnesses that cause vomiting and nausea.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Indica strains have been shown to possess anti-inflammatory properties, which can benefit those struggling with conditions like arthritis or Crohn’s disease.
What is cannabis Sativa?
Sativa strains are known for providing a cerebral high. They are perfect for people who want to increase their creativity or focus. Sativas are often used to treat depression, fatigue, and ADHD.
Unlike a body high, a cerebral high (also known as a “head high”) is associated with sensations of energy and elation. Many people describe it as a feeling of being “high” or “tingly .”This high often leads to feelings of euphoria and happiness.
Sativa strains have a sweet and fruity taste, often described as “skunky .”If you’re not a fan of the taste, you can try using a vape or edible.
When growing Sativa cannabis plants, it is essential to keep in mind that they typically grow taller and lankier than Indica plants. Sativa plants tend to flower later and are better suited for outdoor growing. Cannabis growers won’t have to worry much about pests and molds for sativas. However, do note that they are generally more susceptible to wind damage.
Benefits of Sativa strains
If you’re looking for something to help you get going (and get productive), then the sativa is for you. This energizing class of Cannabis will not lift your spirits but will also provide a significant boost of mental clarity and creativity when you need it the most.
- Energizing effects: The primary benefit of Sativa strains is that they provide users with an energetic and uplifting high. This can be perfect for those who need to focus on a task or struggle with depression or fatigue.
- Increased creativity: Sativa strains have also been shown to increase creativity and can be perfect for artists or those who need to come up with new ideas.
- Hallucinogenic effects: While all cannabis strains produce some level of hallucinogenic effects, sativas are the most psychedelic. This can make them an excellent choice for those looking to explore their minds and expand their consciousness.
- May improve mental health symptoms: Sativa strains have also been shown to help improve mental health symptoms like anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder.
- Reduced stress levels: Finally, Sativa strains have been shown to help reduce stress levels, making them perfect for those struggling with a high-stress lifestyle.
Which one should you choose?
When picking a strain of Cannabis, you have two options: an Indica or a Sativa. Although these two types of marijuana may seem similar, they differ in how they affect the mind and body.
If this is your first time trying Cannabis and you’re not sure about which type to pick, then read on to learn the difference between them:
- Indica strains are known for their relaxing and soothing effects. They’re perfect for nighttime use as they can help you wind down and relieve stress. Indicas are often recommended for anxiety, chronic pain, or insomnia.
- Sativa strains, on the other hand, are more stimulating and uplifting. They’re great for daytime use as they can boost your energy and creativity. Sativas are often recommended for people with depression, ADHD, or nausea.
If you choose between Indica and Sativa, select what feels more comfortable or makes sense for your symptoms. You can always try both and find out which one works best.
Which one is right for me?
Now that you know the difference between Indica and Sativa strains, it’s time to figure out which one is right for you. While you can say it boils down to personal preference, you still want to consider some factors before settling with a particular cannabis strain.
Go indica for night use.
If you’re looking for a cannabis strain to help you relax and wind down at night, then indica is the way to go. Indicas are known for their sedative and calming effects, perfect for people with anxiety, chronic pain, or insomnia.
Try a Sativa for daytime use.
If you’re looking for a cannabis strain to help you boost your energy and creativity during the day, then Sativa is the way to go. Sativas are known for their uplifting and stimulating effects, which can be great for depression, ADHD, or nausea.
Keep in mind that each person’s body and mind react differently to Cannabis, so it may take some experimentation before you find the perfect strain. The best way to find out is to try out different strains at your local dispensary. Happy hunting!
Both Indica and Sativa strains have their benefits, so it’s important to try both and see which one works best for you. With Cannabis becoming more and more mainstream, there’s no need to be afraid to give it a try. So what are you waiting for? Get out there and find the perfect strain for you.
Indica vs sativa: Does it matter?
The strain of choice does matter when consuming Cannabis in any form — be it via smoking, edibles, or whatnot. And whether the kind of pot you’re getting is an Indica or a Sativa makes a big difference in the overall canna-experience you’ll be getting.
But what’s the difference?
The main distinction between Indica and Sativa strains is in their physical appearance and effects. Indicas are short and squat with wide leaves, whereas sativas are taller with thinner leaves. The results of each type of Cannabis also differ: Indicas are known for their sedating, calming high, while sativas are more known for their energizing, uplifting high.
So, which one is right for you?
It depends on what you’re looking for in a cannabis experience. If you want to relax after a long day, an indica might be the better choice. But if you need some stimulation to get through the day, a Sativa might be more up your alley. Experiment with different strains to see which one you prefer!
What are hybrid strains?
Hybrids are cannabis strains that are a mix of Indica and Sativa. They can be a great option if you want the benefits of both types of Cannabis.
Hybrids are known for their balanced effects, which can be great for relieving stress and anxiety or needing some stimulation during the day. Remember that hybrids can vary significantly in their impact, so it’s essential to try them out before buying.
Generally speaking, you’ll encounter three types of hybrids. These classifications depend on how much of its Indica or Sativa parents contribute to the overall genes of the phenotype.
One type of hybrid you might come across is an Indica-dominant hybrid. These strains are usually quite potent, with a strong sedative high from the indica parent. They can be great for people who want to relax after a long day or need help sleeping.
Popular Indica-dominant hybrids you’ll find in the market include Bubba Kush, Northern Lights, and White Widow.
Another type of hybrid is a Sativa-dominant hybrid. These strains usually have more of the sativa’s energizing effects and are great for people who need to focus or want to increase their creativity.
Popular Sativa-dominant hybrids are Jack Herer, Sour Diesel, and Maui Wowie.
Then there are 50/50 hybrids, which, as the name suggests, have an equal amount of Indica and Sativa genes. These strains provide a well-rounded experience that is good for people who want to relieve stress and anxiety or who need some stimulation during the day.
Some popular 50/50 hybrids are Trainwreck, Blue Dream, and Girl Scout Cookies.
What about CBD?
If you’re not looking for a psychoactive high and instead want the medicinal benefits of Cannabis, look for particular strains that are high in CBD. It’s important to note that whether a strain is an Indica or a Sativa does not tell much about actual CBD content.
Strains marketed as high in CBD can have very low levels of cannabinoids. So, it’s essential to do your research and read up on the Lab Results section of a dispensary’s menu before purchasing.
Regarding indicas, strains like Granddaddy Purple are typically high in CBD. As for sativas, strains like Charlotte’s Web are often recommended for CBD content.
About Cannabis ruderalis
Did you know that there is another classification of marijuana? The lesser-known Cannabis-ruderalis is a low-THC, auto-flowering variety of Cannabis that is indigenous to central and eastern Europe.
- Auto-flowering: Ruderalis flowers automatically, without the need for changes in light exposure like other strains of Cannabis. This makes it an easy plant to grow for novice growers.
- Low THC: As mentioned, ruderalis has low THC levels, which means that it doesn’t produce the psychoactive effects that are associated with other strains of Cannabis.
- Indoor or outdoor grow: Ruderalis plants can be grown indoors or outdoors and reach a height of around two feet.
- Discreet: Auto-flowering Cannabis ruderalis is small in size and has a low THC content, making it a discrete choice for those who want to grow cannabis plants.
Cannabis ruderalis is a unique variety of Cannabis that is worth knowing about. While it doesn’t produce the psychoactive effects associated with other strains, it has some benefits that make it worth considering.
For example, it is an easy plant to grow for novice growers and has a low THC content, making it discreet. Additionally, Cannabis ruderalis flowers automatically, without the need for changes in light exposure like other strains of Cannabis. This makes it an excellent choice for those who want to grow cannabis plants indoors or outdoors.
Finally, Ruderalis plants are small in size and can be grown discreetly, making them a good choice for those who want to use Cannabis but don’t want to draw attention to themselves.
Best Indica Strains
When it comes to indica strains, a few stand out from the rest. Here are some of the best:
- OG Kush: This popular strain is known for its potent body high and euphoric effects. If you’re looking for a potent indica that will take you to euphoria, OG Kush is a good choice.
- Northern Lights: One of the most famous strains globally, Northern Lights is known for its heavy body high and relaxing effects. If you’re looking to relax after a long day, Northern Lights is a great choice.
- Afghan Kush: This strain is renowned for its powerful narcotic effects and intense couch-lock. If you’re looking for an indica that will make you feel sleepy and relaxed, Afghan Kush is a good bet.
- Granddaddy Purple: This strain hybrid Indica and Sativa, but its effects are all indica. Granddaddy Purple is known for its heavy body high and relaxed euphoria. If you’re looking to indulge in some severe couch-lock, this is the strain for you.
- Blueberry Kush: This strain is a hybrid of Indica and Sativa, but its effects are all indica. Blueberry Kush is known for its sweet berry flavour and relaxing euphoria. This is an excellent choice if you’re looking to relax after a long day.
Best Sativa strains
When it comes to Sativa strains, there are also a few that stand out from the rest. Here are some of the best:
- Sour Diesel: This popular strain is known for its uplifting and energizing effects. Made by combining the genes of Chemdawg and Diesel strains, Sour Diesel is perfect for getting you energized and motivated. Sour Diesel is an excellent choice if you need to get through the day and need some stimulation.
- Jack Herer: This strain is named after cannabis activist Jack Herer and is known for its cerebral high and creative effects. Jack Herer is a good choice if you’re looking for a Sativa that will increase your productivity.
- Maui Wowie: This strain is known for its sweet taste and euphoric effects. If you’re looking for an energetic and uplifting Sativa, Maui Wowie is a good choice.
- Lemon Haze: This strain is known for its lemony flavour and uplifting effects. If you’re looking for a Sativa that will make you feel happy and energetic, Lemon Haze is a good choice.
- Green Crack: This strain is known for its stimulating effects and sweet taste. Green Crack is an excellent choice if you need some energy to get through the day.
If you are looking for a cannabis strain that can be used at any time of day, then Sativa is the way to go. Sativas provide users with an uplifting feeling, and it is more energizing than indica.
However, if you are trying to relax or focus on something specific, then indica might be better suited for your needs because it has calming effects without being sedative.